The first time I tried Cowboy Caviar was in the height of my healthy eating in my mid-late twenties. I remember trying it and thinking how simple and easy it was to make and the ingredients were always items I had on hand.
I vowed to keep it in my recipe bank when I needed a quick healthy dish I could put together fast. Let me tell you, I have made it dozens of times over the years. This healthy dip is the perfect dish to bring to a poolside party or BBQ. It is also a super easy dish to meal prep for the week and add over salads, burrito bowls or quesadillas ( i would omit the avocado and add fresh if storing in the fridge for the week).
Do you have any vegan/vegetarian friends? If so, you can whip up this easy dish in no time and have something for everyone at the party! Packed full of protein from the beans and a variety of yummy vegetables it can be made low carb by eating with veggies or on top of salad but it tastes equally delicious served up with a bag of gluten-free tortilla chips!
Easy Cowboy Caviar Dip
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (can or frozen)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped small
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped (red, orange, yellow are fine too)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed) optional
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp organic sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix.
- Stir in cilantro. Cover and chill until ready to servce