You are going to love this family favorite pasta salad because it is a great recipe to make for a crowd or bbq. It is versatile with an endless amount of ingredient combinations (aka whatever you have in your fridge and cupboard) and keeps well in the fridge for a few days.
Traditionally larger pasta is used but I love amping up the nutrition factor by reducing the amount of pasta and increasing the amount of veggies and protein. The easiest way to do that has been to chose a smaller past, and orzo is perfect for this delicious dish!
Flexible for dietary concerns
If you have a particular dietary concern do not worry! You can find organic orzo and gluten free orzo options to meet needs which is just another reason why this salad is so dang awesome!
This fresh orzo pasta salad is so easy to put together it makes a great last-minute dish to take to parties and is definitely a crowd favorite.
I made this version vegetarian by adding in some chickpeas but you could toss in some chopped up cooked chicken, tofu, or whatever floats your boat.
Variety is key
Orzo pasta salad is seriously the most versatile salad so let’s chat about some ways you can switch this salad up!
- Toss in some fresh herbs from the garden (Parsley, basil, and my personal favorite dill!)
- Pick veggies that are in season so you have options year-round to switch up the flavors.
- Mix up the cheeses! Try goat cheese or grill up some halloumi for a show stopper. Try your favorite vegan cheese to add in a new flavor!
- Roast your veggies before adding them to the salad. Roasted root vegetables are delicious in this pasta salad.
I hope this salad brings many happy memories of good food with friends and family.
Orzo Pasta Salad
- 2 cups organic spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 cups cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 1.5 cups orzo pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 tsp Italian blend dried herb seasoning
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- In a large bowl combine orzo, chickpeas, cucumber, spinach, feta, basil and onion and toss.
- Combine salad dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir until well blended. Chill until ready to use or pour immediately over salad and toss.
Leave a Reply