Full of nourishing tropical flavors, this immune-boosting pineapple smoothie is perfect for sending germs packing! It is also equally perfect on a warm day as a refreshing drink!
I don’t know about you but when I hear my kids sneeze I right away go into
“Is someone sick?” mode. Having my youngest two 20 months apart combined with preschool and kindergarten, sometimes I feel like the colds are never-ending!
When I’m concerned I always make this quick immune-boosting smoothie to give us all a little boost and fight off any germs that might be hanging around. I can usually tell right away if it’s a cold because my kid’s appetite will change. Normally they eat every 5 minutes (I joke. But it often feels that way) so the first sign for me is they aren’t as hungry.
A smoothie is a perfect way to get some nutrients in without them having to eat a full meal. I should also note this smoothie is so good and refreshing we also enjoy it on warm weather days for a snack!
Ingredients in immune-boosting pineapple smoothie
- PINEAPPLE – Pineapple is high in vitamin C and also contains bromeliad which helps prevents sinusitis and kick-starts the repair of a sore throat.
- ORANGE – Another punch of vitamin C to boost your immune system and up your body’s defense against germs. It is anti-inflammatory making it easier for your body to fight the cold.
- GINGER – Ginger has been used in cold remedies for a long time. It has antibacterial properties and can help with pain management and inflammation. There is evidence ginger can aid in the prevention of colds, can soothe a sore throat, reduce congestion and reduce inflammation.
- CHIA SEEDS – An excellent antioxidant, chia seeds help boost the immune system and are a good source of protein.
- COCONUT WATER – Coconut water is an excellent source of electrolytes, perfect for reducing dehydration courtesy of your bug.
- HONEY – Honey is an old sore throat remedy and natural cough suppressant. It can relieve many symptoms with its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
Other delicious smoothies recipes to try:
Immune Boosting Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cup organic frozen pineapple (fresh works too)
- 2 oranges, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 4 tsp runny honey
- 2 cups of ice, if using fresh pineapple
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Divide between 2 glasses and top with a dash of shredded unsweetened coconut if desired.
Leave a Reply