I am super honored to feature my friend Natasha from @coconuttykitchen here on the blog! Natasha and I are Insta friends that have connected over our love for healthy, delicious and flavor-filled family meals. She has graciously shared her popular Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake with us today!
Although we have yet to meet in person, we have developed a friendship that I am so thankful for. If you are looking for delicious healthy recipes go follow Natasha! And take the time to watch her stories as she shares life with her husband and two girls while travelling the world.
This cake is what you need to make when its 10pm and you’re all alone and you suddenly wish you had bought that Chocolate Fudge Cake that has been on your mind ALL day!
This healthy chocolate mug cake recipe was made specifically for the microwave, for just one person and a quick midnight fix! It’s not the fluffiest, most perfect Chocolate Cake (hello, no eggs or butter) BUT I’ve made it for my husband, for myself, and for my girls and it was devoured each and every time.
Healthy chocolate mug cake satisfies that Chocolate Craving within minutes and by the end you feel like you’ve had that big decadent Chocolate Dessert but actually the ingredients are so clean and versatile!
Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake (Egg & Refined sugar free)
- 1/4 cup spelt flour (white, AP, GF, Oat all work as well)
- 2 tbsp cacao poweder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup milk (+ 1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until all is incorporated with no lumps.
- If the mixture is too thick or dry then add the extra tablespoon of milk.
- Pour into a large microwave safe mug – mine was 14 oz – the mixture should reach about half way so that you have plenty of space for the cake to rise.
- Add the chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Place a papr towel in the microwave and set the mug on top, just in case it overflows.
- Microwave the cake for 90 seconds.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Top with something exciting! A scoop of vanilla ice cream, coconut whip cream or nut butter!
- I have made this with whole wheat flour to make it healthier and it completely worked. It tasted great but the texture was slightly different. Both spelt whole wheat or white work just fine.
- I have made this with 2 tablespoons fo white sugar, coconut sugar and also half coconut sugar/half maple syrup. Again, these are all attempts to make it healthier. All options work well and produce a delicious cake but of course, the texture alters depending on the substitutions.
- The chocolate chips and vanilla ice cream are optional, depending on how amazing you need this cake to be! You could also dollop some nut butter into the middle or top with dairy-free ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt. After you have made it a few times you’ll know exactly how you like it!
- If you don’t have a microwave you can bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes!