If you are new to beet and apple salad you are in for a real treat! This delicious combination is fresh, tangy and creamy all in one bite!
I have to confess, when I first tried beet and apple salad i was quite sceptical that I would like it. I like beets, I like apples, but I did not think I would like them combined at all. Well, I was wrong! It is delicious and refreshing and in my opinion the perfect way to take advantage of beet season especially in the summer and fall months.
A few weeks ago I was planning the menu for a family party and when I mentioned to my husband that beet salad was on the menu his response was “Are you nuts? You want people walking around our house with red beet juice everywhere?” Bless him and his tidy heart.
He had no reason to worry, I was on it. Due to the fact I have three kids and a white kitchen, I do tend to use golden beets a lot more than traditional red beets. Honestly, it is way less messy and I don’t have to worry about staining everywhere I turn.
I am also a huge fan of candy cane beets and I recommend giving them a try if you come across them at your local farmers market or garden store. They are a beautiful red and white stripe and taste the same as regular beets!
I have had rave reviews from this salad and can’t wait for you to try it! It is perfect as a summer side dish along with my Perfect Cucumber Salad!
Beet And Apple Salad
- 6 beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, (I used 1 granny smith and one honeycrisp)
- 1/5 cup goats cheese (flavoured is a great option too)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard (I like smak dab Canadian maple)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim stems off beets and wash thoroughly. Place beet in the middle of a small piece of tinfoil large enough to cover the whole beet. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and gather tinfoil and wrap around the beet. Place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 425 degrees for 1 hour or until soft. *You can also buy pre cooked beets at your local grocery store if you are pressed for time.
- While beets are cooking combine the dressing ingredients and stir together.
- After beets have cooled, use a piece of paper towel to rub the skins off the beets. Chop and place in bowl with apples, goat cheese and walnuts. Add dressing and toss to coat.